Thursday, July 15, 2010

Response to Hidden Mickeys

Loosetoon mentioned the large Hidden Mickey at Hollywood Studios in the previous posts comments.

This is the conversation between us (edited)

Loosetoon said...

"The oval shape of Echo Lake is one of Mickey's ears in what I'm guessing is the largest hidden mickey on property. It's not as easy to see anymore on satellite photos since they added the big Sorcerer's hat right on Mickey's nose, expanded buildings and the trees around the area have grown larger. I couldn't quickly find a good screen grab but search Google Maps for a satellite photo of the area. It's quite cool."

Empire Sports said ...

"I have a Cast Member map that clearly shows Mickey's eyes, nose, and mouth. Yes, Echo Lake is the same shape and in the right position for the ear. However, the Brown Derby and Staring Rolls Cafe have definately hurt the look, as does the hat on the nose.

I spoke with some other Cast Members that were self proclaimed Hidden Mickey experts and they no longer consider this a true Hidden Mickey because it's been so distored. Many believe the largest Hidden Mickey at this time is actually outside of the Walt Disney World Resort down on I-4 towards Celebration. It's a cement tower that holds those big powerlines. I'll try to find a picture.

I still consider the Hollywood Hidden Mickey a real one. Maybe!"



---


Here are a few of the pictures we discussed. Thanks Google!

We start with the Google picture followed by the Cast Member map.



Here we can see the shadow of the power pole. Cool looking.



Now, the Cast Map reveals another Hidden Mickey from above on the Safari in Animal Kingdom. I believe it's the flamingo pond, but it is difficult to tell. I'm pretty sure it's under the clump on trees. I don't know if they changed the road or the map, but the map I have and the overhead look on Google are very different. I really think I found the area where this supposive Hidden Mickey is, but I'm not positive.



Yep. I really think that is the area based on other land marks that are undeniable (buildings) in both the Google look and my map.

TTFN

And don't ask to see the Cast map beyond those pictures!

3 comments:

  1. The power pole is awesome and that Animal Kingdom photo looks like it matches your map to me.

    I also found this which looks pretty huge: http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&t=h&om=1&ll=28.450581,-81.707168&spn=0.015697,0.029182&z=15, but I do not know if this is on Disney property or if someone close by planted their orange grove this way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's just someone close by. That is not Disney Property.

    This is another one I forgot about. The infield lake at the Richard Petty Driving Experience, located in the parking lot of the TTC parking.

    http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&t=h&om=1&ll=28.396582,-81.577628&spn=0.005597,0.007424&z=17

    Here's another one. It's a bunker on one of the golf courses.

    http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&t=h&om=1&ll=28.401867,-81.606928&spn=0.001399,0.001856&z=19

    I'm sure there are more, but I don't know of any off the top of my head.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, so I'm listening to the WDW Radio podcast today and Lou actually had a trivia question about the largest hidden mickey NOT on Disney property, talking about the trees one. He said the trees were planted and the mickey created in 1991 by cast members honoring WDW's 20th anniversary and that the location is "no longer" on Disney property.

    ReplyDelete