Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Update on Rypien's Death

Puck Daddy is reporting that News1130 in Vancouver originally reported the death as a suicide, though they currently reporting what others are saying, that it is sudden, but not unexpected.



I've also discovered that drugs or other substance abuse may not be the cause as previously speculated. The reason for the absence, as told to the Vancouver Sun in a fascinating, but not all that enlightening article. In it, Ryan said:



“(The issues) are behind me and one thing I want to 100% clarify is that there’s no substance abuse at all — it’s the farthest thing from it,” said Rypien. “This is a personal matter. It’s kind of a rare issue and even though it’s taken me away from the game I love, doing the work I’ve done the last couple of months I’ve made a lot of gains as a person and as an individual.



“I got to really understand and have a relationship with myself, which I’ve never had the opportunity to do before. With how far I’ve come and progressed these last few months, I really believe deep down that it’s going to benefit my on-ice performance.”




I'm not really sure what that means or is even hinting at. The fact that this is a "rare" issue leads me to believe it's not depression, but perhaps some other addiction or mental illness.



Rypien said he was going to discuss the issues at a later date, but that time will not come. Perhaps more light will shine on the problems later that could help others. It could certainly be helpful in the prevention of future deaths from whatever ailment Ryan was suffering, assuming of course the leave was directly related to his death.



Was I wrong to initially assume the following immediately after hearing of his death?



"I haven't seen anything yet to indicate if Rypien's death is related to alcohol, suicide, homicide, drugs, or domestic dispute at this time, though I'm leaning towards drugs and alcohol given the statement about his sudden, but not unexpected passing and the multiple leaves of absences."



Yes. It appears I was wrong. Granted I didn't villify him immediately and absolutely proclaim certainty that he had a drug problem, but the writing on the wall certainly looked that way.



More will come out of this at some point and I'll do my best to present it at that time.

No comments:

Post a Comment