Friday, July 22, 2011

New Winnipeg Jets Logo Released



That's the new look for the Winnipeg Jets.

"True North Sports & Entertainment felt it was important for the new Winnipeg Jets to develop a strong new identity," said Mark Chipman, Chairman & Governor of True North Sports & Entertainment. "We felt it was important to authenticate the name Jets and we believe the new logo does that through its connection to (Canada's) remarkable Air Force heritage, including the rich history and relationship that our city and province have enjoyed with the Canadian Forces."

At first glance, I wasn't a huge fan, but it's already starting to grow on me. Maybe it will really grow on me like the Predators did. I didn't like that one at first, nor did I like the new yellow jerseys. But now, I really appreciate them and, dare I say, like them. If you look at where the new Jets logo came from, as Chipman mentioned, you start to appreciate it more.

Here's the Royal Canadian Air Force logo.



Ahhhh. Now I see why they did that.



The word mark is a little weak. But I really like the secondary logo. Hope that makes the main front crest on a jersey somewhere. I do NOT want a repeat of what other teams seem fond of these days, and that's a third jersey with a hip nickname across the front. "Bolts", "Sens", so on. No no no no no.

One of my sources for all things logos, Icethetics is not a huge fan. But I disagree. I kinda like it. It's certainly not the most impressive, over the top NHL logo, but it gets the point across quickly, immediately distinquishes it from the old Jets logo, and compliments its inspiration.

First the old logos, then the new.



It is designed after the Canadian Air Force's CF-18 Fighter.



Now, why did I do my research on the type of craft? Jesse. He made a comment on an earlier post where he pointed out that many fan created concept logos for the new design were in fact American aircraft, not Canadian. So I wanted to take them to task. It does look a lot like the F-18 (pictured below), and some out there are already calling it an "epic fail" on the Winnipeg Jets part. That's not true, though the two aircraft do look very similar in an overhead shot.



Well, I'd love to order me a t-shirt, but shop.nhl.com didn't get the memo about the new Jets logo. At least, not yet. And, while I'm excited about the new Jets logo, I'm not driving to Canada to get me some merchandise. Nor will I join the Canadian Air Force...



...but I will support the Winnipeg Jets and their new logo.
TTFN

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update. I knew I'd see the logo here first. I really like all 3 a lot, and I'm looking forward to see if there's any honoring of the Thrashers heritage upcoming in the jersey design. I love your idea of having Winnipeg run down the sleeve, although I don't have high hopes of seeing anything.

    ReplyDelete