Wednesday, September 2, 2009

New GSU Logos



Today was not a great day in the park, so my original plan of putting up some pictures of me in my Georgia State gear didn't pan out as well as I would have hoped.

But that's perfectly okay because Georgia State has plenty of pictures today. The one year countdown to kick-off starts today. September 2, 2010 will be the first game of GSU football. This includes the new logo.

Here are some of the photos taken from Georgia State's Athletic Website. Some of the photos are from Georgia State's Sports Communication and some are from Stephen Jones photography.





These photos include the new helmet and Georgia State's Head Football Coach Bill Curry, Athletic Director Cheryl Levick, and President Becker.

Here's the logo with just blue, white and red (so much better!):



The primary colors are still blue and white, but black and red are added as secondary colors.

So what are my thoughts? Well, here it goes.

I'm not a huge fan of the new logo. It looks very similar to a high school type logo. It seems like it would be more comfortable on a locker room wall in Bumkinville, Georgia than on the basketball floor in Atlanta. I really don't like the black highlights. The blue and white is a lot better and I certainly hope it's used more than the version with black highlights and shadows.

Now, I do like the fact that Georgia State is FINALLY using GSU. Up until now it was taboo to use GSU in the athletic department. Which is weird. A lot of people use GSU when referring to Georgia State, including the internet. If you have email through the school, your email is whatever@gsu.edu. I know that there is some confusion between Georgia Southern University and Georgia State University, but I really think that State will dominate the market now that they are allowed to used the moniker.

I really liked the old logo a lot better. The sideview of the panther was great and fierce. The word mark is better now than the old one.

Now the GSU is slick. I love that. Good job there.

I'm sure the cat will grow on me.

The other big announcement today was the schedule. Have a look.

GEORGIA STATE'S 2010 FOOTBALL SCHEDULE:

Subject to Change. Home games at Georgia Dome.

Sept. 2 SHORTER (Thursday)



Sept. 18 JACKSONVILLE STATE



Sept. 25 at Campbell



Oct. 2 MOREHEAD STATE



Oct. 9 SAVANNAH STATE




Oct. 16 NORTH CAROLINA CENTRAL



Oct. 23 at Old Dominion



Oct. 30 at South Alabama



Nov. 13 LAMBUTH



Nov. 20 at Alabama



And if you want tickets?

GEORGIA STATE FOOTBALL TICKET INFORMATION:

The Georgia State Ticket Office is now accepting deposits for 2010 football season tickets. Panther fans can establish their seat selection priority by making a non-refundable deposit of just $50 per seat. Deposits can made be on-line at GeorgiaStateSports.com or by calling the Georgia State Ticket Office at 866.GA.STATE.

The schedule is a whole lot better than I expected for the first season. Of course the schedule isn't highlight after highlight, like say the University of Georgia or Georgia Tech, but it still seems pretty impressive for the first season. Particularly that Alabama closer. Oh, and in case you don't know: the Georgia Dome is where the Atlanta Falcons NFL team plays on Sundays. Yeah. Big time venue.

I did get a few photos in of me in my old GSU (I love saying that!) shirt and hat at the Magic Kingdom. Let's get to them.



These are really the only pictures I took today. The problem was the weather. It was horrible. I generally take a ton, but not today. That odd looking Georgia State glowing logo is my shirt in a black light. Cool, huh?

Maybe Georgia State should have the old logo, only it has to glow in the dark. That would be awesome!

1 comment:

  1. OMG, GSU has FOOTBALL now? Well, well..I never would have thought..

    ReplyDelete