Monday, June 22, 2009

DC Metro and Cubs

First and foremost, my thoughts are with everyone affected by the DC Metrorail accident . This holds a few personal thoughts for me. My precious Stephanie uses Metro every day. She uses the Orange Line (the disaster happened on the Red Line), but still. She's the one who originally told me about the accident, so she and everyone she knows is fine. That is such a relief. I don't know what I'd do if I lost her.

The second part that is a little personal is my upcoming job for Disney. I will be working for Transportation. The only description given thus far is operating (or assisting in the operations) of the boat system and the monorail. I don't know any details other than that. This means I could realistically be piloting a passenger train just like these.

Rest assured, I will not be texting at any point while operating a vehicle. I don't text a lot as it is, but that appears to be the problem with two accidents recently, one in Los Angeles , and the other in Boston . I haven't read anywhere that any fault should be placed on the operater of the DC train, but history shows it's possible if not probable. It could be a fault of the safety systems or faulty breaks. One article did site the train was one of the oldest in the fleet.

Oh well. Again, this is a tragedy and hopefully HOPEFULLY people will learn from it. Some of the professional lessons will have to wait (learn to do a complete safety check or learn not to get distracted), but lessons are already learned. Life is short and don't let it slip by. I know I don't always appreciate everyday, but things like this bring that into focus a little more clearly.

CHANGING GEARS




Yes, the Braves won tonight, but I still can't stand Cubs fans. They are by far the most annoying people on the planet. (I do plan on getting corrected tomorrow when the Yankees come to town). But my goodness! Loud and proud, but in a put-down-your-team sorta way. Go ahead and root for whoever, but you don't have to be so crazy rude about it.

By the way, you can bid online for a chance to go onto the field for batting practice during the Yankees and Red Sox series. This is one of several things operated by our staff.



We will also be distributing literally thousands of foam tomahawks over the remainder the week. I have a very bad feeling that some devious Boston and New York fans will get their mitts on them and there will be bits of red chunks blowing through the stadium.

Till then, I leave you with a photo of the fireworks from Turner Field taken from the parking lot.





No comments:

Post a Comment