Monday, June 29, 2009

I Hit The Wall

Well, it's been just a minute since I've posted anything. Sorry about that. I just hit the wall a few days ago. This weekend with the Braves and Red Sox was brutal, both in terms of the Braves on field performance, the crowds, the heat, and my recovery.

In case you didn't have the honor of going outside in Atlanta this past weekend, it was hot. I mean like crazy hot. Brutal. We had fans and employees alike just dropping over all series long. The heat was about 95 degrees in the shade with a heat index of well over 105. Mix that with about 50,000 of your closest rivals and it makes for a very sweaty event.

They opened up several additional first aid stations to deal with the heat, but people were literally fainting all over the place. EMS crews definately had their hands full.

I was doing fine until about Friday. Then, I hit the wall. I mean I just started suffering. I did the best I could, but man was it difficult. I am glad to say I made it through the series without having to take a day off. We do have three more games against the Phillies, but I'm hoping they will be a walk in the park.

I did get to see my man-crush yesterday, Clark Howard . He was filming for his TV show. It was funny because he was out in our ticket line and a fan approached him, shook his hand, and said he was surprised to see Clark at such a premium priced game. Clark got real excited and said, "No! There's one dollar tickets! Right there!"

Of course, he's right. We have one dollars for each game. They go on sale when the gates open (generally two and a half hours prior to first pitch). And when they're gone, they are gone. There are 187 per game. Yeah, they're the worst seats in the house, but they are in the house. And actually, not terrible view of the stadium. Plus, you can view the game from other areas open to everyone with those tickets.

Sad thing is, these are normally gone in the first hour or so on a normal game. Yesterday (Sunday versus the Red Sox), we still had some at first pitch. And the gates opened three hours before that. Sad. Almost as sad as the fact my man-crush is Clark Howard.

Oh, I don't know if I mentioned this, but I totally don't have a voice. I lost it a week ago and it remains gone. It was sad when I was trying to have a conversation with Hannah (a director of Guest Relations) at the stadium because she too has lost her voice. It was pathetic. We eventually gave up. Oh well.

On a school note, I did have a conversation with the internship coordinator at Georgia State and she is going to lobby on my behalf to have me be an intern with the Braves in Spring of 2010. I don't know if I mentioned it yet in the blog, but I will have to take three classes along with the internship to graduate on time. That sucks, but I'm just ready to be done.

Cheers and a good week to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment