Tuesday, June 23, 2009

I Stand Corrected

Well, I was wrong. Yankee fans are not worse than Cubs Fans . They were generally polite and civil. Of course, there was the typical booing and cheering and chants and such, but that's to be expected.

The sad part was that the Braves have been advertising for some time now about this homestand. "Get your tickets now! They go fast!" and things like that. There are even tips for fans attending the game. In fact, for the last week the message boards on the Interstate system have been saying "Braves Permit Parking Only. Others use MARTA."

Well, there was a ton of people there, but the walk up was nothing. We had about 30 police barracades placed in our sales line to help with the overflow of people, but the people didn't come. I think most were scared that if they didn't have tickets already, they couldn't get them. I mean, we had additional staff, Atlanta Police in force with their mobile command unit and horseback patrols, and a ton of management from the front office around. And it was nothing. No line to speak of at all. No window had a wait of more than three people at any given time.

Now, I'm not one to say I-told-you-so, but I totally called this one. My memory of the Red Sox series from two years ago was a good predictor of tonight. I worked almost every day out in the line and it was so boring. My theory is because there was so much fanfare about this game and so much hype, that fans assumed that if they didn't have tickets, they can't get in. On Friday and Saturday, that will be true but not for the rest of the homestand. My slight fear is that people will sit at home and see the empty seats and actually show up in droves for the rest of the games. Possible, but still pretty unlikely in my book. We shall see if I'm any good at this whole prediction stuff.

Today was really hot though. I mean, REALLY hot. Fans and employees alike were falling over like crazy. I can't really comment on it, but let's just say I had to stay late tonight for some paper work related duties. That means I got stuck in the traffic, which was horrible.

But at least the Braves pulled out a victory . A nice one too. And just in the nick of time for one Turner Field landmark. That big Coke bottle is being retired on the 2nd of July.

Before I forget, I did get and email from Georgia State Athletics today. That's good. I haven't worked there in over a month because of a Maymester and surgery. In addition to the email, I saw Carlos (marketing guy) at the game. Huge Yankees fan and he actually did bid the auction I talked about yesterday and won along with about 70 other folks. He paid $51 if you are interested. And it sounds like Georgia State is still interested in me from what he says. That makes me feel good. I really did put in some good work and I hope they have some good work for me. I don't know if they want me to come back until I go to Disney (about a month), but I'm willing if they are. I'll have to see.

Well, I'm pretty exausted and tomorrow is round three (of ten!). And the forecast for tomorrow calls for more 90 degree weather. Drink plenty of fluids if you are going to be outside tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment