Sunday, June 21, 2009

Welcome to Hell Week (plus!)

Well, tomorrow begins the most impressive homestand the Atlanta Braves have had in at least the last three years.

Starting tomorrow (Monday), the Braves play a make up game against the Cubbies of Chicago. The Cubs are always the biggest opponent of the year that we can count on at Turner Field since they are in the same league.

Tuesday thru Thursday matches the Braves against the overrated New York Yankees. Even those that don't know anything about baseball know the Yankees. And anyone with half a brain hates them. The Yankees ball club is where the good players go to end their careers and whither away. It's like the retirement home for MLB.

I just can't wait for those fans. All the "ey's" and "yo's" and better-than-you attitudes. Should be fun. I'm not against fans getting ejected for pulling stupid stunts and acting like idiots.

After the Yanks, the Red Sox come into town for a weekend series. Another gigantic opponent. Not nearly as annoying (as memory serves), but numerous nonetheless. Plus, it's a weekend series which always up the fan-alcohol intake. You know, I've been doing this job for a few years and I'm not stupid. It still amazes me when a fan will pull alcohol out of their pocket and put up a verbal argument when I call them on it. We don't sell in glass bottles and we don't serve in 12 oz cans. I mean, if you're going to sneek stuff in: be smart about it.

Icing on the cake to these monster series is a mid-week series against the Phillies. For those counting, that's 10 games in 11 days. So, I'm going to be missing trivia the next few weeks.

On top of that, I've got a few important school meetings this week. Beyond class (with test on Thursday by the way), I've got a meeting with the Department Chair on Thursday at 1:15 to discuss my participation in my internship in the Spring and my non-conventional class this Fall. Friday has me meeting with the internship coordinator to finalize some details. Should be alright.

So, I apologize right now if I miss a little while worth of posting. Hopefully, I'll have some observations about Yankee fans and Red Sox fans. It will likely be biased. I try to be unbiased when talking sports, but there is only one exception: Yankees. While I'm always a Braves and Thrashers fan, I can realistically look at a loss and give a neutral stance, if I want to. I'll always root for them, but can handle a loss. The exception that is the Yankees: I always want them to lose. Always. No other team has this kind of moniker. I just can't stand a team that is so full of themselves they would build a more expensive stadium with less seating. Huh? A team that spends more money on players than any other team and STILL can't win the pennant with the dependancy one would expect.

One interesting point though. The Florida Marlins mascot is reportedly paid more than the Yankees mascot though CC Sabathia makes more than the Marlins Payroll.

Just how much are they getting paid? Well, let's look.

MLB Salaries

That's $201,449,289 for the Yankees. Second is the NY Mets at $135,773,988. Boston is in at four with $122,696,000 and the Braves are at 11 with $96,726,167. Bottom of the list the Marlins at $36,814,000.

So why do I hate the Yankees? Because of their "mighter-that-thou" attitude without enough sufficent evidence to back it up. Yes, they've been to the playoffs a lot, more than most teams. Yes, they have a number of World Series Championships, more than any other. BUT, they should absolutely dominate if the tried and true theory of economics means anything.

I mean, if one pays more for something, shouldn't it be better than something else that costs less? I'd be ticked off if I payed $20 bucks for a meal that came with a burger where the guy next to me paid $12 for a steak with choice of sides and a dessert. That's what happens everytime New York doesn't win the division behind Boston or, dare I say, finish behind the (Devil) Rays. And how are the Yankees doing this year? Right now they are second in their division, 4 games back of the Red Sox. Money does not buy championships. Heart does.

Okay, enough for now. I've got to meet with the surgeon tomorrow. Fun times.

Oh, and Bobby Cox was ejected today along with Chipper Jones and Eric O'Flaherty in a Braves loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment