Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Happy Anniversary!

Well, it's been three years ago today since I met Stephanie.

I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm going to re-tell the story of how we met and our first date. Hopefully Stephanie doesn't mind.

We had a mutual friend who was actually pretty smart about things. He thought we'd be a good couple and played us both pretty well. He told Stephanie a lot about me because she liked to know all the information up front. He didn't tell me a lot because I would over-analyze and think she was out of my league.

He was living in Virginia at the time after moving from Georgia and was a classmate of Stephanie's. I was visiting him and we planned to go on a trip to the beach. At almost the last minute, he said, "Oh, by the way. Hope it's okay, but a friend of mine's coming. She's a girl, hope that's okay."

"Sure, why not."

Of course Stephanie knew what was going on. The guys decided we wanted to go camping at Bethany Beach in Delaware. Stephanie - not exactly a camper. She suggests we at least look for a hotel with rooms available. Okay, so we looked into every hotel. Every single one by the beach. All were booked. So, we went to Jim's Hide-Away (actual name, not making this up) and set up camp. Later, we hit the beach. Tune in further down for our camping arrangements.

Before I forget to mention it, Stephanie got tangled in the equipment in the back seat of the car. Hilarious. I asked if she was building a fort.

We spend a lot of time on the beach. The guys frolicked in the waves while Stephanie sat and looked pretty on the beach. At first, I thought she wasn't that into me, but later found out that's just her beach routine. Which it still confuses me on why Stephanie likes the beach. We actually discussed it recently.

Does Stephanie like the hot sun?

No.

Does Stephanie like sand?

No.

Does Stephanie like getting in the water?

No.

Does Stephanie like the beach?

Yes.

So, after we did the beach thing, we went back to camp.

Now, Jim had run out of normal camp sites. He said we were welcome to set up camp in this one particular area. An overflow area. It was right next to a giant cornfield. And the latrene. Not the bathrooms or restrooms. The outhouse. With bugs and spiders and living things all over the sinks, toliets, and showers. That's in addition to the stains, smells, and hairy things just sorta molding around.



Literally an overhead view of our campsite. The red circle marks the spot. Not exactly a resort. And, like I said, that green area to the east is not grass but 10 foot high corn. And the woods of course all around the rest of the area.

If this were an S.A.T. analogy, it would go like this.

Clean, Nice Campground : The Melting Pot :: Jim's Hideaway : Dirty Waffle House

Oh, and our neighbors were drunk rednecks that stayed up all night. Plus, it was cold as all get out. Really cold. We were shivering all night long. At one point I woke up and noticed Stephanie really shaking. Now, I'm a smooth romantic. A gentleman. So what do I say to this attractive girl I've just met?

"Stick your hands in your armpits to warm them up." Then I rolled over and went back to sleep.

Okay, so I've been camping before. This works. Not a smooth move though. Whoops.

Anyway, so the next day we head back to Virginia and I arrange to take Stephanie out solo. We arrange dinner and suddenly my friend "feels sick".

Unfortunately, Stephanie didn't catch on at first. "Oh, I feel bad. We shouldn't leave him."

"HE'S FINE! WE'LL BRING HIM BACK SOUP!"

"Really?"

"YES! GET IN THE CAR AND LET'S GO!"

We ended up at Two Chef's Pizza once she caught on. Very nice dinner. We then went to Starbucks for some coffee. The night ended with us exchanging numbers and talking the evening away holding hands. For the record, she held my hand first. And it's a good thing she did. She was way out of my league (still is) and I don't think I would have been able to make that first move. To be fair, she though I was making a move and went with it, but I wasn't intentionally. Either way, it worked out for the both of us.

Okay, so if you know Stephanie, you'll understand how incredible it is that she didn't run away screaming before we ended up at Two Chef's. Excluding dinner, this trip was Stephanie's idea of hell.



She's not exactly a camping person. Her idea of camping is staying in a cabin with heating and air. Like this at Disney's Fort Wilderness Cabins.



I've got to admit: I like Stephanie's form of camping a lot better. One big reason was the Jim Hideaway corn field. The corn field was creepy. Stephanie kept thinking the children of the corn were going to come out and get us.



I wouldn't have been surprised if they did.

To cap it off, we went to Starbucks. This probably doesn't sound like a big deal but Stephanie doesn't like Starbucks nearly as much as Dunkin Donuts.



She recently spend a lot of time on a personal quest to get a new t-shirt she saw. Here's a picture of the shirt I found online. I have no idea who the woman is wearing the shirt. Stephanie was successful in her quest, by the way. She got it at her regular Dunkin Donuts. This is the same one she goes to everyday for her regualr iced coffee. She recently told me there's a homeless guy there that opens the door for people, but doesn't ask for anything. Of course, people will routinely give him coffee or donuts or something. She nicknamed him "Dunkin".



So, I took Stephanie to the house of her coffee enemy. Perfect end to a perfect trip, right?

I am simply amazed that we ever met. Even more amazed we're together after our initial venture. I love her dearly for sticking with me though this and so much more.

This is the first picture I every got of Stephanie, literally four days after meeting her. I carry a copy of this in my wallet. It's very torn up from years of wear and tear. My favorite picture.



.....

So that's our story. And three years later, we're now listening to Stephanie when she says we need to make reservations at resorts well in advance and not just throw a tent in the car, just in case we don't find something.

And for Stephanie: "Love you Sweetie!"

No comments:

Post a Comment