Wednesday, July 1, 2009

NO! Not X!

The Atlanta Thrashers completed a four player trade recently. The trade sends Colin Stuart and fan favorite Garnet Exelby to the Toronto Maple Leafs in exchange for Tim Stapleton and 2004 All Star Pavel Kubina .

Alright, so here's my break down.

Kubina had 40 points last season, 14 goals and 26 assists. That does top Exelby's seven assists in 59 games. Stapleton played in just 4 games and scored one goal. Stuart lit the lamp 5 times with 3 assists in 33 games.

Let's focus on the stars of the trade, X and Kubina. X was a 99 draft pick by the Thrashers and a real fan favorite. Really always out there. Kubina did hoist the Stanley Cup in 2004 with the Tampa Bay Lightning and has played in 38 playoff games.

Everyone knows the Thrashers need defense. They gave up 280 goals last season, second highest in the NHL. Who was the highest? Oh, that'd be the Leafs at 293.

So riddle me this. If the Thrashers are looking to improve their defense, why are they trading with literally the ONLY team that's worst than them in that department? I mean, maybe Kubina is a great player. Maybe he'll be a big star and actually help the team along with fellow defensemen Zach Booger-snot (Bogosian), Tobias (Toby) Enstrom, and Ron Hainsey among others.

Don Waddell has some explaining to do to the fans. Thrasher fans were obviously not coming out to the games expecting a win. We know better than that. Sure we'll cheer and hope and be disappointed when they lose, but it's not unexpected. Why do many fans come out? For their favorite players. Lethonen, Moose, Kovy, and X. (Ironically, Garnet is the player featured this month in my Thrashers wall calendar).

And X was more about the fans than anyone. He really seemed to be one with Atlanta. He'd personally deliver tickets to season ticket holders. He'd do crazy things for the jumbotron. One of my favorites is the kiss cam skit where a girl kisses some guy then X rushes the stands and sits down kissing the girl.

Below is another one of my favorites. In case you don't know, the Thrashers always interview players during the intermissions. Normally, Natalie Taylor does it but this time it's a special guest.



I'm sorry, but it's just too funny how violently "Ron" pushes Natalie out of the way.

This is a big blow. Now, I don't have a player on my jersey because I'm a fan of the team, not a particular player. This is part of the reason. It's always weird to me to see past player jerseys, especially ones still active in the NHL (Hossa namely).

I wish the best for X. I really do. Stuart too. I didn't really have any particular affection for him, but I wish all current and former Thrashers well. But especially X. He'll be the first one I plan on actively keeping track of throughout his career.

No comments:

Post a Comment