Saturday, October 31, 2009

I Lied In Tomorrowland (Forgive Me Lord...!)

Lord Vader that is. Some Jedi was using a mind trick on me I swear!

Anyway, I was doing my photo shoot of Tomorrowland the other day and here are the results.



Now, Tomorrowland is actually pretty small so this will go quickly.

We start with the great big beautiful tomorrow. That would be Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress. It takes one through several different scenes with an American family showing the progress of energy and inventions.



It's a long journey, but a great way to beat the heat. And yes. It is still hot here right now.

There's also the Tomorrowland Speedway. Calling this attraction a speedway is being very generous, but it's a classic 7mph ride.



Let's take a quick time out to look at the shopping and places to eat in Tomorrowland. -"Now approaching Mickey's Startraders..."-



My favorite is Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe. Here, you pick what you want then go to the bay that supplies it. Burgers are Bay 2 while Bay 1 is chicken and Bay 3 is sandwiches and salads.



I always go to Bay 2 then immediately to the best part of Ray's...



I don't even take off the bun. I just cover the burger in a thick layer of artery clogging goodness, then put on the ketchup and mustard with a bunch of pickles. Then cover them in more cheese. I then take a seat near the lounge singer, Sonny Eclipse.



Let's exit Ray's. I'm getting all hungry now.

Look up and you'll see a few things. You can see the one way people mover, that's the Tomorrowland Transit Authority (TTA). This goes all around Tomorrowland and through some attractions, like Buzz's Space Ranger Spin. You can also see the Astro Orbiter ride, kinda like Dumbo but a lot higher up.



Speaking of the spin, here it is.



There is also the main street that leads back to Cinderella Castle. This has the Monster's Inc Laugh Floor on one side of the street and Stitch's Great Escape on the other.



I love the Laugh Floor. Here, you interact with a cartoon monster within the monster world. Since laughs produce more energy, they are capturing our laughs to power their city. It's really neat talking to a cartoon and having them talk back.

Stitch's Great Escape (or Stitch's Great Ess-Cop-A as Dory the fish might say) is okay. You are transporting dangerous criminals when Stitch shows up and creates some comic mischief.

Scattered through Tomorrowland are some interesting sights, such as the palm trees that open and close like flowers in the sun. There's also a big sphere you can spin.



Also, let's not forget the two characters. I saw Buzz Lightyear and Push the Trash Can.



If you look closely at Buzz's behind, it's stamped (C) DISNEY. Ha! Yeah, the pictures not great but I didn't know how to get it gracefully. "Excuse me, Buzz? Can you turn around for a butt shot?"

And I expected Buzz to give the thumbs up like he did with every guest before me, but of course he didn't for me so I look like an absolute goober.

Oh, and what was that about me fibbing? Let's go to the video tape.



Lord Vader is of course my favorite Star Wars character, but I just blanked out. There's a lot of pressure talking to a trash can, especially one that talks back. I like R2 don't get me wrong, but how can you compete with a machineman that can crush you with his mind?

Anyway, hope you enjoyed your journey into the Future here at Disney's Tomorrowland inside the Magic Kingdom.

But wait? Isn't there an iconic ride in Tomorrowland?

Of course, there is Space Mountain. It is currently being refurbished for your future enjoyment. You can see the wall keeping guests out in the picture with the palm trees. FYI, that's the TTA in that same picture above the trees.

1 comment: