Monday, September 12, 2011

Jets Young Stars Shut Out Sharks in Tournament

This just happened, so I don't have any stats at this time. I worked through much of the game, so I only caught the last five minutes or so of regulation. But the Jets' prospects shut out the Sharks' prospects 4-0. That article came out after I started the post, so that's how fresh this is!

The Jets took all three stars of the game.

Three Stars:

1.Mark Scheifele - scored a goal, added an assist, dominated play every time he was on the ice.
2.Levko Koper - opened the scoring, and added the insurance goal.
3.Edward Pasquale - 27 save shutout, wasn't tested often, but when needed, was solid

I saw a replay of the two Scheifele points and they looked fantastic. The goal was shorthanded on a breakaway. He showed patience and just took his time, waited for the opportunity, and put it home just under the crossbar after dekeing out the San Jose tender. The assist was even more spectacular as is was a beautiful pass between the legs of a defender and then wristed in by Jason Gregoire.

I saw a few late attempts by the Sharks on Edward Pasquale in goal. And he looked great. He stopped 27 shots in total, included a large number during the final two-ish minutes as the Sharks were on a power-play around the 17:00 mark (I think) and the Sharks pulled their goalie for the extra attacker during what I believe was about two of the last three minutes, right up until the empty net goal. It was hard to tell how long they had out the extra attacker and when the powerplay happened because there was no game clock visable on the feed. And at this time, the box score is unavailable.

Never mind.

The penalty actually came at 17:23.

A couple of things I want to point out from the box score that struck me. The attendance was announced at 1,250. That seems an insane number for a bunch of rookies! And, there was a fight every period. That seems weird to me too. I guess it kinda makes sense because these guys are kinda auditioning for a spot on a roster somewhere, so emotions are very very high. But it also seems like you won't want to risk injury so you CAN make that good impression in future games during the tournament. Of the three Jets that got involved in some fistacuffs, I didn't immediately recognize any of the names (Klarc Wilson, Austen Brassard, and Ben Chiarot).

The last thing that strikes me is that the Jets scored two shorthanded goals (one was an empty net) but did not capitilize on 5 powerplay opportunities. They did manage to kill 4 penalties, including one with an extra attacker for most of the time. So yay and boo.

Finally, I watched the game under the assumption that the Jets were debuting their entire uniform at the tournament. That was not the case. They were modified practice jerseys and will not break out the actual jerseys until September 20 against the Blue Jackets in pre-season action. I don't know where I got the idea they would be wearing the jerseys (I'll check later), but it didn't happen. And I'm not crazy in thinking that it was realistic to see actual game jerseys. The Stars and Rangers wore their actual game jerseys in their prospect game on the NHL Network. And the Jets opponents on the ice, the Sharks, wore their home jerseys tonight. So I'm not crazy in thinking it was highly possible to see real uniforms.

I did grab some shots of the game from the video feed. You can start to see the jersey fonts, what I assume is the actual uniform helmets, and possibly the socks for the away. Maybe. I hate the look of that clunky silver underarm. Thank God the actual away jerseys look better than this. But the font is awesome. Can't wait to see that on the real deal on the whole team!




TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment