Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Winnipeg Jets Goal Horn (Not Really)

I'm obsessed with goal horns.

I've talked my expectations for the Jets horn before, but unfortunately, those requests did not happen.

It's the Winnipeg Jets. Named and designed in honor of the Canadian Royal Air Force. It needs to be an air raid siren as the goal horn.

But no. That's apparently not it.

Here's a video of a family with a kid trying to root for Byfuglien (good luck kid with saying that right) and the Jets score.



It's hard to hear, but it's more of a train whistle. It sounds like there might be an air raid siren tossed in at the end.

Here's the horn without the siren from the Moose days at MTS Centre.



This version (with the wrong logo) claims to be the new official goal horn. It does have that air raid siren and some different videos on YouTube seem to have that song playing. But the crowd is so loud, it's hard to tell. This may well be the song and horn. I'll try to confirm later. The poster claims it's official and put it up during the summer. I don't know if they are right. Many of the other horns I listened to on YouTube claiming to be the official horn are bogus, but this is the only one I can't call BS on yet.



I haven't found a definative source yet for the goal scoring song anywhere. Odd since it was played last night, but the excitement was so high, it's really difficult to hear anything. Plus, they dropped the puck pretty quick after the first goal (the only videos I could find), so I'm not so sure they played much of a song anyway.



Here is a great wrap up video of the game, since we have so many videos.



The only thing about songs I could find in my research so far was the song they played at the end of the first period. "I Fought The Law, And The Law Won".

Seemingly appropriate, Buff, but it does strike me as odd that the team would draw attention to that. I suppose they were actually doing it to highlight the roughing penalties assessed to Big Buff at the end of the first period, but still. Didn't think they'd point out the elephant in the room with the announcement of Dustin's charges being filed against him earlier that day.

From a rules perspective, it looks like Byfuglien got two roughing penalties, one of which was served by Shayne Wiebe. This is not a double-minor because roughing does not qualify for double-minor and that is served by the same player. This had to be two sperate penalties for roughing.

I have never seen that before in a box score. Odd. I did not get a chance to see the game and haven't read about this particular incident anywhere, so I am speculating.

TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment